Those of you who are familiar with my other day job (the one that doesn't involve diapers and pretending to be a unicorn or a princess or a cat) will know that I have a bit of an obsession with the graphical display of data. In fact I would go so far as to say that it is one of my passions... how better to convey complicated information! Well imagine my surprise and delight when I discovered an ipad app that allowed me to bring my passion for graphs into my world of mommy. Oh yes great excitement ensued, and because I know you just must be equally thrilled at this development I hereby present to you Izzy's stats for the first almost two weeks. Fascinating isn't it?
Now of course the rub in any great data display is that some poor soul must undertake to the tedious data collection in order to have the meat behind the pretty graph. I will admit for about 14 days there I was happy to be that sucker (so to speak) because I wanted to make sure little Isadora was eating and eliminating enough. By four days old she had lost a full pound (down two 6 lbs 12 oz) and so I was very determined to have stats to show the pediatrician for "analysis", should she not be gaining enough weight at her 2 week appointment. Data gathering involved a commitment to record the time and duration of each feeding (including which breast was currently in use) and the contents of each diaper (you could even get so descriptive as to the type and quantity of BM, but really, at some point we have just gone too far). This proved to be a bit time consuming, not to mention difficult to remember given my new found sleep patterns. So it should come as no real surprise that when last Friday rolled around and Izzy was back to birth weight even before two weeks I decided to break the chains of ipad bondage and stopped recording her stats. I felt so very liberated... but hmm I wonder what her sleep patterns are now and how they will change in the coming weeks...


No comments:
Post a Comment