This week was Evie and my first week of hanging out together just us girls. I can't remember the last time we had so much time together just the two of us and it was great! Last week I was really tired so I was a bit worried that it would be a hard week but in the end it wasn't too bad. This was, in no small part, because I was able to crash at my parents house on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon for a nice nap while my parents watched Evie for me. (Today and yesterday no such luck but I also managed to sleep a bit better the past few nights so I am doing pretty darn well)
Throughout the week she has been taking full advantage of the fact that she does not have to wear a uniform and has been dressing herself in all sorts of fancy. Thursday she spent the whole day in her snow white costume and received quite a few complements. In fact I think enough people commented on it that it made her self conscious because she hasn't wanted to put it on again and every time someone said something to her she would try to hide behind my legs.
Anyway, on Tuesday morning we went to Biosphere 2 out in Oracle. I figured as a mostly indoor controlled environment it would be a good chance for me to walk about a bit and not be too hot. It turned out to be perfect. I think most of the science of the place and the tour was lost on Evie but she got a kick out of the ocean biome and in particular spent about 15 minutes going through a computer program to learn about mollusks... you just never know what will pique her interest. After the Biosphere 2 we went out to noodles for lunch and then over to my parents for my nap.
Wednesday started out with a bang with a trip to open jump time at Pump it Up, a local jumping castle place... basically a big warehouse with jumping castles and slides in it. Mostly it is used for birthday parties but they do morning open jumps for 1.5 hours for only $7... one of those things I always thought she would enjoy but the whole working thing got in the way. She had a great time and managed to convince me to go down the big slide twice. I went up and over the bumper at the end the second time and decided maybe it wasn't the best idea for me to go down it a third time. After and hour and a half of jumping we went over the pool for a swim lesson. She is really doing well with the swimming, almost has the whole coordination between big arms and kicks, regardless she is now really comfortable in the pool... we just need a few more lessons and some practice so that I am comfortable with her in the pool too.
Thursday was low key with just playing around the house in the morning followed by a few errands and then a trip to see the midwife and check in on Lentil. (All is well on that front, by the way) I then took her over to my folks house again and my brother's girlfriend Claudia watched her for me for a few hours while I went back down to the University to meet with a professor. She had a lot of fun with Claudia and when I came back had made all sorts of pictures and a princess carriage out of cardboard. We stopped for ice cream on the way home and then chilled on the couch and watched a "science show". (She knows that this is the best way to get me to let her watch television... by proposing that the two of us hang out and watch a science show, aka Nova or National Geo or something like that)
Today it was gloriously cloudy and only about 90 degrees so we decided to make an early trip to the zoo. While there Evie found a little boy (3.5) and the two of them proceeded to go around the zoo hand in hand for the next hour, it was really cute. Of course the highlight of the zoo was the splash park part, Kenya Get Wet, where we spent most of our time. She also fed the giraffe. It made me think of the first time I took her to the zoo when she was just six months or so old and was terrified of the giraffes... Anyway after the zoo we headed to the pool for another swim lesson and then over to an "adult lunch" that a former co-worker and my new co-workers put together at the place where I am going to work next year. It was cute, when I told her she was going to a special lunch with just adults she went to her closet and picked out a fancy dress and fancy shoes so that she would be ready to eat lunch with adults.
Not sure how I am going to top all of this next week....


No comments:
Post a Comment