One of my favorite hikes is up along old highway 2, the
route between the town of Libby and the town of Troy. It was one of the first
hikes I did when I came to Libby (in no small part because the trailhead is
along the current highway 2 and I could easily access it with my rental
car). When I hiked it the first time I
made it up to Shannon Lake, which was super pretty. I may have made the mistake
of trying to hike around the lake and almost falling in…. but it was still
super pretty :)
On my way down that first time I decided to take pictures of
every single wildflower I saw:
The amazing columbines were one of the big motivators for
Mom to take the hike. Unfortunately though, only a month later, most were
already gone.
The hike takes you up along the ridge looking out toward
Troy and down at the Kootenai River just below the falls. All along the hike
are these magical seeps coming out of the side of the mountain and interpretive
signs about travel back when the hike was the main road between the two towns. There is even at one point a very old
(probably 1930s) car that must have fallen off the road and was just left
there.
When I did the hike with Mom, Dad, and the kids we just made
it as far as a nice waterfall that goes across the stream. Genevieve has been enjoying bringing a sketch
book along and using what she sees outside to inspire a series of pictures of
different types of fairies. Conveniently for her, there was a bench right by
the waterfall, so we all hung out for a bit. I played around with trying to
take pictures of waterfalls and Izzy just plain played. :)







No comments:
Post a Comment