Saturday, August 15, 2009

Why?

Why are you putting the key in the door mommy? Why do you use a towel? Why do I have to put on shoes? Why do I have to close the fridge? Why can’t I go outside? And all of that before 8 am. Such is the Lacroix house these past few weeks. All of a sudden Evie’s question-authority gene has kicked in, and man is it functioning in overdrive!

Although it is quite time consuming, I love this new found inquisitiveness, especially because it hasn’t taken the form that I originally imagined it would. In my mind I imagined that Evie would start asking me why about things like, why is the sky blue or why does the sun set every night. I had no idea that the whys would 1) start so early and 2) be about such mundane things. I guess it is a good thing that they ease you into your role as oracle/dictionary/encyclopedia. I am well equipped to explain why a key goes into a lock but not quite ready to answer those more involved questions like why is the sky is blue (although with the modern advent of wikipedia I think I’ll do alright!)

1 comment:

Tepary said...

Ila doesn't do why so much as "I don't know." Shrug. So far that seems to be okay for her...