Sunday, August 9, 2009

The 10th Circle

Dante, I am afraid, missed a circle of hell. It is reserved for the parent who is not fastidious enough in their hand washing. The punishment for such sins is to get very, very sick and have to take care of a two year old. Now granted, on the surface it does not seem as bad as being trapped in a flaming tomb or having to push around great weights with ones chest but hear me out… it has its similarities. Take the flaming tomb for example. I had a fever off and on but was forced to hang out, awake, in my house and attempt to entertain Evie; it felt a bit like a flaming tomb. Then there are the weights… well this is just the shear agony of having to push your own body out of bed for the 4th time in one night because your poor two-year old (who, also by the way, still has a cold/strep) needs your help. Perhaps the most analogous is the second circle where the lustful are forced to blow about in a violent storm with out any hope of rest… ah yes that sums up the last week quite nicely.

The good news is unlike the poor souls in the inferno mine was really more of a purgatory which, I am happy to say is slowly melting back into paradise that life usually is around here…. Next time I will be more vigilant about hand washing!

No comments: