Monday, December 22, 2008

Winterhaven


How is it that I have lived in Tucson for going on 5 years and it wasn't until this year that I managed to make it to the spectacle that is Winterhaven? All I have to say is thank goodness for children as the motivators to do cheesy holiday stuff because, with Evie as an excuse, I am having a ball this Christmas!

Last night we celebrated the Solstice by going out to dinner with the Erickson clan and then traipsing around Winterhaven. It has to be the most ridiculous (and I mean that in the best way) display of holiday spirit I have ever seen. For those of you who don't know, Winterhaven is a neighborhood in Tucson where every Christmas the whole place is shut down to cars and the people go absolutely nutso with the house decorations. It is such an event that there are even hay and trolley rides through the neighborhood. There were many unique houses but here are my top four: the house completely re-made to look like a gingerbread house, the house with so many lights it looked like it was daytime (on the picture posted here), the house with the phenomenal two story high AIDS ribbon and one story high words HOPE and the house with the timed bellagio style water and lights show. And, because we are just that cool... or rather because our nanny Nicole is just that cool, we got a behind the scenes tour of the water spectacular show house because she is a friend of a friend who lives there. (And we were lucky enough to spot her car as they drove in...)

You would not believe what this guy goes through to put together this house... he starts in September and programs into a computer program a 12 song show with water fountains and lights. He said last night that every song takes him about six hours to put together. It definitely goes down as my favorite random hobby of the year!

For those of you who do not live in Tucson y'all are welcome to come and stay with us sometime and witness this event...they really should put it in that one million things to do before you die book....unbelievable :)

No comments: