Monday, December 1, 2008

Pre-school musical


Lately my life feels a little like a musical. At any given moment, particularly the emotionally charged ones, you can catch us breaking into song. Is Evie refusing to put on her diaper again… well then better sing the one foot, two foot all feet in the diaper song. Or perhaps she is utterly thrilled about going out for a walk, then she will burst in to the cactus song (to the tune of row, row, row your boat and with the only lyric being the words cactus and row). All this singing has made me nostalgic for the last musical I was a part of… so as homage to days gone by:

What good is sitting alone in your crib?
Come hear the music play.
Life is a Jamboree, small one,
Come to the Jamboree.

Wipe off the frown
The glare and the scowl.
Time for a holiday.
Life is a Jamboree, small one,
Come to the Jamboree.

Come taste the juice,
Come hear the band.
Come blow your whistle,
Start celebrating;
Right this way,
Your sippy cup’s waiting

No use permitting
some cleaning of room
To wipe every smile away.
Come hear the music play.
Life is a Jamboree, small one,
Come to the Jamboree.

I used to have a dolly
known as Joliet
With whom I shared
Many hours on the toilet

She wasn't what you'd call
A blushing rose...
As a matter of fact
She wore no clothes.

The day she got stuck in the mud
My parents came to scoff:
"Well, that’s what comes
from too much playing with your shoes off."

But when I saw her wash up pretty like a Queen
She was the happiest...dolly...
I'd ever seen.

I think of Joliet to this very day.
I'd remember how'd she turn to me and say:
"What good is sitting alone in your crib?
Come hear the music play.
Life is a Jamboree, small one,
Come to the Jamboree."

And as for me,
I made up my mind back on the toilet,
When I go, I'm going like Joliet.

Start by admitting
From dawn to dusk
Isn't that long a day.
Life is a Jamboree, small one,
Only a Jamboree, small one,
And I love a Jamboree!

No comments: