Saturday, October 31, 2015

Trying Tri's and Other Fun

 
Last weekend we all piled (or really stuffed) into the Subaru on Friday afternoon to camp out a Patagonia Lake because I was going to compete in a sprint triathlon on Saturday morning. In an utterly uncharacteristic move I have been training quite diligently for the past three months for said race, up at 5 am to bike and run, heading over to the Y almost every Saturday, you get the idea.  I was nervous about the race because the lake was going to be about 65 degrees.  As it turns out it should have been nervous for the 8 mile with nothing but striaght up hill bike ride.... To make what could be a painfully long story short, I made it through the 500 meter lake swim but utterly failed at the second leg of the race, the bike ride.  Truth be told, around mile 3 when I got sick and was walking my bike again, I decided that is just wasn't fun, and by god somethings should be fun or just not done.  While I felt liberated for my decision after I turned around to ride back I now know that I will have to train and do this triathlete next year to redeem myself... but this time I will spend all of my training time going up hills!
Despite my race fail all was not lost in our weekend fun.  The camping was lovely, and on our way out of the park we stopped at a yard sale (because it said free coffee and Patrick could not resist) and Patrick and I ended up with rocking new cowboy hats.
 
We then made a pit stop at Hops and Vines (our favorite vineyard), on the way to Apple Annie's to acquire some fresh from the field pumpkins and get utterly lost in a corn maze.
I had never done a corn maze before and must admit, after a few times of fruitless circles got a little panicky.  To help you through you could bring with you a "passport" that had questions to answer where if you answered correctly you would turn the right way.  Evie grabbed one on girl scout trivia, I grabbed American history and Anna snagged movies.  As it turns out, we were the best at movie/TV trivia... thank goodness for knowing something about Mama Mia, Lord of the Rings and I love Lucy!
On Sunday we continued the weekend of random fun and went to the 4th birthday party of the month at pump it up... complete with blacklights and glow sticks.
 
As if that wasn't unique enough we then participated in Noche en Blanco, a flash-mob potluck dinner in the middle of the street in downtown Tucson.  It was quite the awesomely bizarre event, I felt like I knew 10% of the 2,000 random people there....  Perhaps most fortunately for us, we were all (Anna included) able to find our entire white get ups from goodwill!
Pretty sunflower from Apple Annies... not related to blog but had to share :)

No comments: