Thursday, April 5, 2012

Backyard camping

Backyard camping... I am not sure but I think the hose is there on purpose, in case the fancy fire got out of control....
 Last week we bought a new tent with the original plans to christen it in the Dragoons with some friends.  While this would have been lovely, the reality is we had (and still have to some degree) big time chores to take care of at home before Evie's 5th birthday this weekend and I was in bustling Safford, AZ for the annual AZ Riparian Council Meeting until Saturday afternoon.  With a trip to the mountains deemed just a liiitttle bit too much we decided to do the next best thing... Backyard camping!  On Saturday as soon as I got back Evie started begging for us to put up the tent.  We finally relented at about 4 pm and then the girls and Patrick went for a "hike" to the grocery store while I finished exercising (Patrick and I have been doing p90X together, or mostly together, every morning, or mostly every morning, sometimes its an afternoon... but the evening never works out for us.... for about 6 weeks now.... look out world!)  Anyway the troops came back fully equipped with hippie hot dogs, marshmallows and graham crackers.  Patrick started a fire in our fire pit and made us all hot dogs while Evie and I set up the sleeping arrangements.

Izzy joined us too for a bit, I brought her high chair outside and let her eat her dinner in front of the fire (note the fancy camping chairs we own), and then put her to sleep in her crib inside.  We had to leave the screen door open though so I could hear her at night, luckily her room is near the backyard.  Unfortunately although spring has sprung it still gets pretty cold at night and as a result the three backyard Lacroix's ended up sleeping pretty much in one big pile (or rather Evie slept, I am not sure how much sleep either Patrick or I got).  Then at about 2 am the indoor Lacroix decided that it was too cold in her room too, because of the open door, and protested greatly.  I went inside to take care of her and, I am sorry to say, was too much of a wuss... or maybe too smart... no really it was for the benefit of keeping Isadora warm... yup that is why :) and decided to stay inside for the rest of the night.  Regardless of the temperature it was loads of fun, I think we'll have to camp in our backyard again soon... actually I am pretty sure Evie will beg us to do it again soon..... 

No comments: