Thursday, September 2, 2010

Storyteller


Genevieve has become quite the weaver of tales. She is always coming up with a scenario or story for the world she sees (or doesn't see) around her. Last weekend we took a short trip to New Mexico to the Gila Cliff Dwellings NM. On our hike up to the cliff dwellings we stopped to take a rest at a spot where you could see the cliff dwellings. Patrick was talking about the cliff dwellings and Evie chimed in that the cliff dwellings created by the furniture people who also created the logs we were sitting on, but then they turned into eagles and flew away. The pictures below are of the cliff dwellings in question, well worth the 2 hour curvy road to get to.


One of the cuter manifestations of the storyteller in her is during story time each night. Before she goes to bed every night I tell her a story on the fly. I usually ask her what she wants the general theme to be (princesses, fairies, magic, you get the idea) and then make up a story about it. For the past few weeks when I finish the story she will say, "No mommy you're not finished change the story to be...." and she'll propose a slight change to the story I've told (the location or the end result is somehow different) and then I retell the story based on her modification. It is a lot of fun for both of us.

Who knows maybe she'll be a ballet dancing, mud loving writer....

(Oh and for those of you who are concerned... I have indeed survived my (almost) first two weeks of school, work and mommydom... the first week was a bit scaring but the second week was down right enjoyable)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pleased to hear you survived. Isn't this make-believe time fabulous?