Aside from copious amounts of time watching kittens play, Evie has been making some pretty awesome creations. Today alone are three notables. This morning she put some playdough in a little basket, coated it with plastic beads and then started to weave this elaborate tale about how it was a nest and the plastic beads were fairy seeds. We then placed (at her request) the fairy seed basket out by the front door where they could "be happy outside but not get too hot."

Then after school today she went out back to play in the yard while I made dinner and called me out to see here "wedding cake" (What you couldn't tell?) She then arranged our patio for the wedding... it still isn't clear who the lucky couple were... After the cake she came in a drew me the most awesome picture yet... and I say this not because it is particularly pithy, its just a self portrait, but because I think it is the first time ever she has drawn something that I could so easily determine what exactly it was! The scribbles at the top are her current version of her name, apparently she really likes v's.
For those of you who would like to know about my state of affairs... I am getting into the routine of school work, regular work and Mom work and starting to really enjoy myself. I have, however, realized that higher education, especially of the PhD type, is a really, truly selfish exercise. Hours and hours of time spent by yourself reading, writing and learning about all sorts of fascinating things that most people really don't care to know about. (This is of course unfortunate for those who are subjected to time with me because they have to listen to me dribble on about all sorts of esoterica) So let this be a warning to any potential out of town guests... you might just find yourself subject to my waxing poetic about the coolness of qanats or the beauty of biological soil crusts... and yes Patrick will accept your pity.
No comments:
Post a Comment