Saturday, August 21, 2010

Seeking balance


On Monday I officially begin my PhD... for whatever reason it was not a reality to me until last Wednesday when I spent the day back on the University of Arizona campus at a graduate student orientation. All this week I've been having nightmares where I am at work and I've accidentally missed a whole week of class or in class when I was supposed to be at a meeting, or, the worst, I am in class and forgot to pick up Genevieve from school... clearly I have some anxiety about balancing the whole thing. Luckily for me I have just about the best support a girl could have with my parents and Patrick to help me take care of Evie when I have class and Evie herself who seems to be at the very least pretty intrigued about the idea of her mom at school "just like her."

As the orientation day finished and I walked back to my car across the big grass mall I suddenly felt a moment of honest panic, an oh my gawd what have I done. Then as I crossed the mall and walked past the library, where I spent so many hours totally engrossed in cave ecology or transportation planning (random I know) during my master's degree, I got over my panic and got really truly excited. Here goes nothing... or rather here goes something...

No comments: