Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yellow Rain Coat(ed)


This past weekend Patrick got a wild hair and decided that we should paint our living room. We have long contemplated undertaking this task but have never quite gotten ambitious enough to do it. We had decided long ago that we should paint the room yellow. (Our living room in our old house was yellow too... hmm I wonder what it says about people who always have to have orange kid's rooms and yellow living rooms?) So when he decided we should go for it I jumped at the opportunity. The task itself turned out not to be too onerous... although I did find myself painting away at midnight on Saturday night while Patrick sat on our couch in the middle of the room watching Battlestar Galactica on our TV (also pulled to the middle of the room... just to be clear, there was no expectation that he help me at that point, I was just neroding about getting it finished and couldn't relax until it was done) As it turns out, however, the build up to painting the room was by far the most issue fraught endeavor.

Before going into this there are two this that should be noted. One: Patrick and I, for all of our good planning and organization in our work activities, are woefully inadequate, for some unknown reason, in our ability to effectively pre-plan household chores and projects. Two: Our living room is, by our standards, really big.

So, we wake up on Saturday morning and I volunteer to go out and buy the paint. Patrick and I confer on the amount required, he suggests 7 gallons I feel like that is excessive and negotiate 5 gallons... umm yes I now realize that even 5 gallons is a lot of paint but at the time it seemed like a reasonable counter-offer to his initial proposal. Then, intent on acquiring 5 gallons of yellow raincoat colored paint, I head off to Ace. As the guy is mixing my last gallon of paint he notes that each gallon should cover about 400 square feet, which would be, oh say enough paint to cover my entire house in raincoat yellow. Oh well, too late at that point, and besides it never covers as much as they say it will (right?) and our living room is really big...

So I pack up the car with my 5 gallons of paint and head merrily on my way. About 1/2 way home I look back and realize that one gallon is leaking and, panic stricken, pull into a nearby parking lot and jump out of the car in the hopes that I can get to the can of paint before it gets to my seats. Well, in my panic and haste, I throw open the back door, which leads the can in question to go toppling out of the car, spilling all over my leg and the side of the car (don't worry Gerry it wasn't the Honda I was driving). So now I have paint all over me, the car and this parking lot (oh and it is already like 100+ degrees outside) Figuring liquids and some sort of mostly toxic solvent are really the only things that are going to solve this problem I jump back in the car, race home and run into the house all a dither about yellow paint in the car. Patrick and Evie rush out to help me... but upholstery and paint do not part so easily. Luckily, in the end, it was a pretty small patch of area that is now yellow and we never really intended to sell the car again anyway. Once the dust settled and we started to regroup and paint something other than my leg and the car, I realized that I felt quite guilty about the large yellow spot in this random parking lot. So I looked up the phone number for a business there and left a message confessing my sins... no word yet on whether or not I will pay dearly for my guilty conscience.

Once the excitement of getting the paint home subsided we all resigned ourselves to the rather large task of actually painting. Genevieve helped us out some but we rapidly realized that she is just far too artistic (not to mention hands on) to be a good painting partner. By the end of Saturday we were all pretty well painted: the living room, my feet (where the can fell), Patrick's arms, all of Genevieve, Oliver's face and left whiskers (I have no idea when or where that occurred) and Kita's leg (I think she decided to hide a toy in the sheet that we used to cover up the paint supplies when we went out on Saturday night). When it was all said and done we painted the whole living room with 2 gallons of paint... so subtracting the gallon that chose to paint my car instead of my wall, we have 2 unopened gallons of yellow raincoat left for when we decide to paint the rest of the house yellow... or something else (anyone want to buy 2 gallons of eco-yellow paint off me?) All told it was not the least traumatic painting experience I have ever had but that's OK because the end result is pretty darn awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a time you had of it! Ah well, yellow living rooms are a good thing. We're partial to them here, along with a yellow front bathroom of a different shade and a yellow master bedroom and mudroom. I hadn't realized how many rooms had been painted yellow until we finished our living room. Enjoy the yellow.