Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oktoberfest


Last Sunday we decided on a whim to go out to the Oktoberfest at Reid Park after Evie's nap. It was great fun! The highlights of the outing (aside from the beer for Patrick and I of course) was Evie getting her face painted for the first time and Evie the polka dancer.

When we first arrived I saw the face painting and thought it might be an interesting experiment... As it turned out Evie got really into it and sat still for, I kid you not, 10 minutes while a rather elaborate frog was painted on her cheek. I think it felt a little funny to her because when I tried to take pictures of her she kept making this funny droopy smile (see photos above). Good thing it was a cheap thrill because about 10 minutes later she dug into some roasted corn and the poor froggie lost his front arms and most of his mouth. Next time we'll have to stick to the strictly cheeky butterflies and the like.

Face painting was fun and all but the real excitement took place post corn when Evie made her way to the dancing stage and the live Polka band started oompah-pahing. She was so funny. When we turn on music to dance at home she insists that we hold her hands and dance with her. But here, perhaps because there was a real audience and stage, she wanted nothing to do with us, and even got quite distraught if we so much as stepped on the stage. Luckily it was a small crowd with many a grandparent so her "show" was tolerated and even encouraged. She even made a friend, a four year old, who was quite the experienced dancer herself. As it turned out she was more than happy to take Evie under her wing and help her learn the Polkaing ropes.


Her propensity for quick (not to mention hilarious) moves on the dance floor are going to force me to hone my skills in the action-shot department. Given that I am a novice at such photography I am afraid I was unable to capture some of the most amusing antics... Maybe next time there is a Polka band I'll bring my video camera (now wouldn't that be a treat!)

No comments: