Sunday, September 13, 2009

Labor Day at Blue '09


As has become our tradition, we spent a fabulous labor day weekend up at the cabin on the Blue. This weekend was particularly nice though because my brother and Claudia decided to join us too!

We spent Saturday making our annual visit to the Alpine craft club's Christmas bazaar. Picked up a couple of exciting oraments for the tree and a cool hand-made toy for Evie. We then went next store to the library's thrift store (all proceeds go to support the Alpine Library) where Evie picked out some interesting toys (see swaddled oversized my little pony below) and a big bag of dress-up clothes for just a buck!


Saturday night we made s'mores at the fireplace... but this time Evie had vegan s'mores because the last two times she has eaten marshmallows it didn't end well... we still aren't sure if it really is the mallow's fault but I personally didn't want to take the chance. Because we told her marshmallows make her sick she proclaimed her banana s'mores the "yummy ones" and the mallow ones "yucky ones" At one point she went into the kitchen to give my dad a real s'more and said "Here you go Papa, I have a yucky s'more for you."

On Sunday we just hung around the cabin. Evie and I spent a good two hours down at the stream. I decided to take a hands off approach to stream exploration and just let her guide me where she wanted to go and do what she wanted to do. As a result we meandered up the stream, occasionally sitting in one spot to throw rocks, float sticks downstream or collect flowers. It was a wonderfully relaxing way to spend a morning.


On Monday we packed up a little early and then stopped in Glenwood, NM for what has to be one of the coolest hikes, Whitewater Canyon, aka the catwalk hike. My mom took way more pictures than I did so I'll post more when I get them from her. It occurred to me over the weekend that this was Evie's third labor day weekend at the cabin... look at how much she has changed over those three holidays!

No comments: