My good friend Annie came by on Friday, my last official work- day of maternity leave, with lunch. As she was leaving I commented on how I had created a massive list of must dos for my last week of “free-time” (ha what a misnomer that is) and had not managed to do really even half of my tasks. She commented that 30% was doing well. This truism got me to thinking about the past two months and how much and somehow at the same time how little I have been able to accomplish.
Since having Evie I have been able to achieve things that I once thought would be so simple yet somehow became gargantuan tasks, such as take a shower every morning, eat breakfast and brush my teeth. Who would have ever imagined (except of course for the experienced mom) that accomplishing such routine tasks could be counted as a major success for the day?! Other not-so-small victories of my first month as a mom have been to get used to my new sleep regimen, squeeze into (a very few) of my pre-pregnancy clothes and the most important of all, learn how/when/where to feed our baby. (And really I should admit that I am still on the novice level of baby feed-dom).
In the end I actually accomplished many of my tasks (really about 55%) because Evie was quite cooperative. She even slept for 5.5 hours one night last week! (Sleep being an important factor in the productivity level of course). In the end, however, I came to realize that all of my said tasks were not nearly as important as the “task” of just enjoying my last week of complete total and utter baby time.
Now onto the next phase of parenthood…
No comments:
Post a Comment