Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Into the woods...

Long before Genevieve was born Patrick and I decided that we should spend the last two weeks of my maternity leave (and Patrick’s last two weeks of freedom before he is sacrificed to the study-nonstop-for-the-bar gods) up at my folks cabin on the Blue River. I am happy to say that we stuck to our guns and have been hanging out doing close to nothing up here in the woods since last Thursday. The place is super remote but even so as of a month ago we have internet… how crazy is that?

Little Evie, who for the first few days up here was better known as Fuss Bucket, is doing well. Last Tuesday I weighed her in at 9 pounds 8 ounces. Patrick is very concerned with weight percentiles and was pleased to research and discover that this puts her exactly at the 50th percentile for weight. Now for those of you who do not spend your days obsessing over a baby’s weight and height, these percentiles are not like the SATs, a 95th percentile versus a 25th does not mean your babe is extra good or extra bad… it is simply a range of acceptable. For example a 95th percentile baby only has 5% of kiddos that are heavier and a 25th has 75% that are heavier etc. But average (or heavier) n this case matters most to Evie’s daddy so both the food machine (aka me) and the babe are happy to comply.

I guess changes in altitude can wreak havoc on little bellies (or so grandma pediatrician informed us) because man was she an unhappy camper (or cabiner to be more exact) our first day or two here (thus the alias of Fuss Bucket). Fortunately for our sanity she has calmed down considerably and is back to her usual happy calm baby self.

The most eventful occurrence so far has nothing to do with babies, but with lost dogs and close encounters with bears… seeing how Evie and I just held down the fort during that whole adventure I will let you ask Patrick, who survived to tell the tale, fill you in on that one! Evie went on her second hike (what a lucky gal) on Monday. She is quite the hiker I tell ya, spent most of the hike awake and looking out the side of her little pack, nice and quiet and I imagine happy.

I am taking tons of pictures but have no easy way to post them here so y’all will have to wait until we return to the land of the hot and sweaty next week ☺

1 comment:

Johanna Welzenbach-Hilliard said...

A bear?! Did you really run into a bear Pat? Please do tell.

Kelly, I love this blog. It's such a nice way to see how you all are. Congratulations, Pat, on graduating. Patrick Lacroix, J.D.

As to little Evie (who is absolutely adorable and resembles her cousin Dylan), I'm sure that A) she'll finally put on weight (although my son still hasn't at age 11 - nor did Patrick for that matter as I recall) and B) she'll eventually outgrow her touching moniker "Fuss Bucket". It took Cris a while to outgrow that as well...