It has been quite a few years since we have made it to the All Souls Procession. (Well basically since I started my PhD, because somehow the first weekend in November was always the height of craziness, and late Sunday nights were just not happening) This year, however, I planned ahead and took the morning after off (thus why I am sitting here typing right now) and even told the girls (mostly Evie) that they could sleep in as late as they wanted if they wanted to go to the whole event. (Evie is still asleep, Izzy, who left early woke up on time, but has since "gone back to sleep"...aka playing in the room).
The extra bonus this year was a face-painting party at my friend's house. Her sister, who is (clearly) an artist was in town and volunteered to help us all become fabulously anonymous.
After a few hours of face-painting prep (Patrick wasn't too keen on that part, so he met up with us later) We all walked together to the start of the procession. Izzy walked for about 1/4 mile before she needed to be carried, but Genevieve made it the whole 1.5 mile route. I have never actually walked in the procession before, I usually just watch. Having now actually walked I don't think I will ever just watch again. Something about being among so many people walking through the streets of Tucson was incredibly powerful and moving. About 1/2 way down the route (and around 7:30) we decided it was time to get Izzy home, so she and Patrick bowed out. The rest of us (Evie and my friends) though walked the rest of the way to the site of the finale.
We watched the finale until Genevieve said she was super tired (around 9:30) and then caught the most crowded streetcar I have ever been on back to my friends house, where we tried, a mostly failed, to get the face paint off of us. I am going into work today with faint blue dots under my eyes... we'll see if anyone notices :)


No comments:
Post a Comment