Monday, March 10, 2014

Science!

The past few months there has been some exciting science going on in our house. It began with a multitude of experiments kit that Nicole (aka Mimi) bought Evie for Christmas.  We made polymers, used dyes and Evie has proved herself to be a mean pipetter.

 Izzy has also enjoyed helping when we let her (which is as often as I can!)
Then in February it came time to put together Evie's poster for the IST science fair.  She tried two different experiments to grow mold on oranges, apples and bananas.  I am afraid neither succeeded. This totally baffles me because otherwise we seem to have no problem growing mold on food in this house.  During the experiment we even accidentally bought apples that a week later were moldy!  Regardless, Evie had a lot of fun with the experiments and putting together her poster.  I started out having her type it herself but after it took 1/2 hour to do the one sentence of what her experiment was about "Will different molds grow on different fruits?"  I decided it was OK for her to dictate to me while I typed.  Perhaps the best part of this science experiement are the conclusions:
She did well enough at her school science fair so that this week she gets to go to the Southern Arizona Regional Science Fair.  It should be fun!! (and of course I'll let you know how it goes...)

No comments: