Saturday, March 3, 2012

Barney Brainwash

When I was in high school I had a thing against Barney.  The friendly purple dinosaur was the object of some sort of strange teen angst.  I even went so far as to have a Barney doll that a friend gave me tied up with a noose and hanging from the back of my 1957 Ford Country Sedan.  (This odd behavior of mine should be remembered of course when the girls are teenagers...)  I outgrew my open hostility to Barney roundabout sophomore year of college but have ever since then harbored a definite dislike.

Fast forward to mid-January and Evie's illness.  While Evie was sick she watched an ungodly amount of television and 3/4ths of that television was Barney.  I had no idea just how prolific the purple dinosaur was until we turned on netflix and saw the seemingly unending list of Barney adventures.  Barney does A,B,C; Barney and his magic school bus; plain old Barney Imagines; Barney celebrates Valentines Day, Halloween, Christmas, Fourth of July, Memorial Day, and Lent; Barney builds a tree house; Barney eats a whole cake; Barney travels to Mongolia....  Day in and day out she watched, and I was subjected to, "I loove yoou, You loove meee"  At first I cringed, then after about  a week of Barney immersion therapy I found myself immune to it.  Two weeks later I found myself singing Barney songs in the shower.  And here we are today and I find myself thinking, hey Barney isn't so bad.  Its all about music, imagination and friends, what could be better than that?  Yes folks it took over a month but I have been totally utterly Barney Brainwashed. Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. golden sun, Please shine down on me. Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. golden sun, Please just let me be, Oh little children why do you, Love that purple dino so through and through. Oh Mr. Sun. Sun. Mr. golden sun. Please just let me be.

OK maybe not totally brainwashed....

No comments: