Monday, January 23, 2012

In search of Pinkie Pie


Yesterday (or was it Saturday... I am afraid the days are a bit blurry at this point) Genevieve decided that a "pinkie pie" doll would make her feel extra brave and help her take her medicine (She is on a combination of IV meds and oral meds, with the hope of moving her to oral meds so she can go home).  Patrick, the local present shopper, went on a target run for said doll.  As he wandered the aisles of target and consulted with a number of expert sources, aka little girls who just had that knowledgeable look about them, he discovered that there really was no such thing as a pinkie pie doll per se.  There was, however, a my little pony named that but she wasn't the nice soft (and assuredly pink) princessy doll Evie was imagining.  He came back empty handed and discovered that a pinkie pie was actually not a real doll but a doll that Evie had conjoured up and decided she wanted.  Me though, with the power of google, managed to find a soft version of the pinkie pie pony.  I showed this option to her and she immedietly agreed that this pinkie pie would certainly fit the bill.  I then set about finding the doll.  The problem was that we, thinking this was a usual doll that we, being the Luddites we are, have never hear of, had promised pinkie pie as a present today for all her hard work fighting the pain and taking her medicine.  Alas Ms. Pinkie Pie is not a usual buy.  Thankfully I was able to order it from the toy store and then could pick it up there when it arrived.  I explained that Pinkie would be slightly delayed and Evie was very understanding....

Last night we had a really tough night.  I left the hospital at 11 pm to go to my parents and take care of Izzy.  Evie was uncomfortable when I left and doing worse with the pain than she had in a day or so.  Her fevers still didn't seem to be comming back, high of about 100 deg, but her pain was.  At 2 am Patrick called me and told me she was doing really badly and so my mom, Isadora and I jumped in the car and came to the hospital.  The poor thing was again in very bad pain and trying so hard to still be nice, saying no thank you even when we asked her about pillows here or sitting there.  This kid was clearly earning her Pinkie Pie. 

One of the (many) things that has been eye-opening to me this past week is just how much medicine is a riddle solving game.  Last night the riddle was why she was doing worse again after doing so much better.  The best solution seemed to be that we had stopped the really strong ibuprofen so we managed to get that to her again by morning and she was (seemingly) instantly improved and was finally able to fall asleep.  The fact that her neck was still contorted and the pain was not going away has had everyone very worried so this morning she was told again that she couldn't eat or drink and that they would do another CT scan in the afternoon.  Unfortunetly the afternoon stretched into the evening but finally around 4 pm today she had a another scan.  She is so uncomfortable that we had to sedate her to do the scan and impressed all of us with her good additude and ability to count to forty in french as the medicine kicked in.  I didn't mention this before but having your child be sedated and then put under a big machine is an incredibly scary thing, the first time they let Patrick stand next to her with a radiation coat and I watched from the tech room.  This time they made me leave and Patrick and my Mom stayed with her.

While another CT scan was very scary, the good news is they did not see anything on it, which means that her initial diagnosis was correct and we will just have to focus on reducing her pain and rehabilitating her neck (which has now been in a contorted position for a week).  Needless to say I was thrilled to get the e-mail that Ms. Pinkie Pie was available for pick-up so I told Genevieve she would be on the way and went out right after the CT scan to retrieve her (and a few other toys... I just couldn't help myself)  I must admit Ms. Pinkie Pie is decidedly the most ridiculous toy I have bought yet for Evie... a pink pony that talks and you can teach to walk, but I tell ya what if it makes her feel even just a little bit better I am all for it!  Ohh and I think we may need to do a garage sale after this whole experience because by god her toy supply must be doubled by this point :)

No comments: