How do you discuss death with a three-year old? This, unfortunately has been a difficult question for me these past few days. We have all been touched in some way by the recent tragedy in Tucson and it doesn't seem appropriate to even try, as if I could, keep it from Evie. I, like many of her constituents, have personally met Representative Giffords on multiple occasions and, also like many others, consider her to be one of the brightest stars in an all too cloudy sky of Arizona politics. She is an inspiration and role model for me. When I found out what happened I couldn't function I was so shocked and sad.
But my question remains how best do you explain such a thing to such a pure and innocent soul? Ironically she has provided me with more comfort than she knows. She is not unfamiliar with death because of a beloved cat that past away last year. At that time we tried to give her comfort by talking about souls and some general description of god. This seems to have helped and stuck with her. On Sunday when I was particularly upset, I couldn't mask my emotions at all. Her response was to come up to me, hug me and tell me that it was going to be OK because "all of those poor people who were hurt are now having a party with god." I am certain that it is just one of many times in life when my daughter will teach me something.
2 comments:
Oh, it is so difficult. We're battling with the same thing a couple of miles down the road. We've focused the conversation on those who were injured rather than those that died. We go past Gabbie's office every day often several times a day so the vigils and tributes we're talking about as both memorials, but also rooting for the injured.
Wow Kelly, I applaud you for broaching this subject with Evie. Her response was heart-warming!
Post a Comment