Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ohh Santa


Whew emerging from the finals fog... How the heck did I think it was a good idea to pick three classes all with huge 20+ papers as part of the final? It was either hubris or stupidity... or maybe they are truly one and the same. Anyway I am happily on the other side of my very first semester as a PhD student and also happy to say that it was pretty darn awesome and I can't wait for next semester (Although I am choosing my classes next time in so small part on the presence of a final paper...) I am so very fortunate to have Patrick and my parents to help me, without them this simply would not have worked at all.


Anyway we have been slowly but surely getting into the holiday spirit around here. The first of the holiday wonders is always the visit from Santa at Patrick's work. You may recall that Santa generally arrives on a Harley, well this year the Harley was "in the shop" (aka Santa's girlfriend no longer works at Patrick's firm) and so Santa came in an ice-cream truck. Oh yesss not only does he bring presents for the boys and girls but some real frozen sugar treats straight from the north pole. His truck even plays calming classical music to call the kiddies for their treats...


Well generally Santa requires the assistance of Patrick to pick up a toy for Evie (he is a busy guy at this time of year you know) and Patrick had bought Evie a pillow pet (a strange obsession around here that I don't quite know the origin of) a totally reasonable little gift from Santa. Well on the day that the presents had to be well present, Patrick forgot said pillow pet and ran out to get a substitute. In a moment of utter weakness and ridiculousness he purchased a life-size groovy girl complete with little bands on her feet so that she can dance with Evie. Wrapped up it looked a bit like a sarcophagus. As you might imagine this toy was quite well received and has since needed to go just about everywhere with us... buckled into the car next to Evie, tucked in at night next to her etc. etc....Ohh Santa.

No comments: