For about a month now Evie has taken to joining us in bed every morning at around 6:30 am. It all started about a month ago when Evie asked if she could sleep with us for the night. The answer from Patrick and I was a resounding no... buuut being the conciliatory parents we are (and also real cuddle junkies) we told her that she was welcome to join us in the morning "once the sun came out" Of course everyone knows the sun does not come out at 6:30 am during the winter but she (almost never) comes in before that so we have let that part of the deal slide. (Kid is like an alarm clock, no matter when she goes to bed at 6:30 on the dot each morning she is pad, pad, padding down the hall to our room).
She started by essentially stalking us, hanging out at the bedroom door, breathing heavily and sniffing loudly, waiting, hoping that one of us would wake up and invite her into the room. After we made it clear to her that it was OK to come right in in the morning she then would come into the room and hang out at my side of the bed staring at me until I woke up. (The first time she did this I almost had a heart attack). At this point I asked her to go ahead and wake me up when she came in the room so I could help her into bed. So she then would come in, blankie sweater in hand, crawl into bed and then proceed to fight with us over our pillows. After about a week of pillow fights (so to speak) she started coming in with her own pillow (clever girl).
This whole arrangement works out pretty well on weekdays but on weekends, when we would like to sleep past 6:45 (15 minutes is about as long as she wants to cuddle) She starts chit-chatting with Patrick and I about any number of things... dreams she had, foods she would really like to eat, her most recent treatise on how much she loves her dog Kita. The other weekend Patrick implored her to stop talking... to which she obliged... and then started singing, "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go dowown medicine go down...."
No comments:
Post a Comment