There are many things that I did not expect to happen to me when I became a parent. I like to think of them as my "dubious milestones". Dubious because I have heard rumors of them but quite frankly never thought they could possibly happen to me (How haughty and naive!)
For example, an early dubious milestone,I think it was number 6 or 7, was finding myself up to my elbows in poo after a particularly explosive bm (or poo-splosions as we called them). Another was the day, about two weeks ago, when my unhappy tot declared "I don't like you Mommy!" (That must have been dubious milestone number 100 or so... in another year I imagine we'll reach its sister milestone of the dreaded, "I hate you mommy"... gosh if I don't look forward to that one.)
The "best" to date though was the dubious milestone I achieved last Sunday,Number 112: locking my daughter and car keys into the car together. Now, never the one to go easy on achievements, I also managed to lock my house keys and our dog in the car as well. I must say that the little car-door-lock beeep as I shut the back door was just about the worst sound I have ever heard. After a brief moment of panic I looked at Evie and calmly said, "Sweetie I need to run next door for a moment but I'll be right back." She looked at me with her big doe eyes and said "OK Mommy, see you soon." I ran over to our neighbors, which, thankfully were there and used their phone to call Patrick, who, thankfully, for once actually picked up his cell phone. He was only about 15 minutes away (thankfully). To pass the time while I waited for Patrick to come home I played hide and seek with Evie through the windows of the car... she was very brave and only got a little upset toward the end of her wait in the car. So although it was a doozie of a dubious milestone all is well that ends well.
Here is to hoping that 1) I never do that again and 2) I get a bit of a reprieve from dubious milestones for awhile!
1 comment:
Eek! We've just moved into the "I don't like you mama." phase when she doesn't get her way. It is usually swiftly followed with a "I'm sorry mama. Big hug?!"
Post a Comment