Friday, July 17, 2009

Rhode Island - Part 2

Ostensibly the reason for this trip to the east was for Vivian and Erich's wedding; but we figured it would be a nice relaxing vacation with family, with a wedding thrown in as the (haha) icing on the cake. Patrick and I quickly realized though that it has been waaay too long since we last planned a wedding (oh give or take seven years) and had totally forgotten (or maybe blocked out) all of the chaos, crafts and characters that come part and parcel with the week before a wedding. (You may note that there are very few pictures of Vivian included here… that is because the poor thing was running ragged the whole time!)

Our nice calm house began with four people, two two-year olds and one old(ish) dog. It climaxed with seven people, two two-year olds (thank goodness we didn’t acquire any more of those!) and three dogs (one of which had a propensity for placing loose stool on the carpet in the morning). The house was pretty well suited to four plus people, with three bedrooms, a tiny kitchen and one shower. By the time we hit max capacity we were forced to bathe in shifts or just to sponge bath in the upstairs bathroom.


Friday night was the rehearsal dinner (and the night of max capacity….) Patrick’s brother Colin, his girlfriend Marty and their dog Franklin arrived that afternoon. This was Evie’s first encounter with Uncle Colin and let me just tell you she took to him like Pooh bear to honey. It was really cute! Evie also got to meet Patrick’s godmother Johanna and her family on Friday.



The main event was, of course, on Saturday… In the morning I took the kids and Patrick and Colin ran a 5-mile road race in Little Compton. It was also the day of their annual church fair and the kids got to bounce in a jumping castle. Evie thought it was pretty fun, but to Dylan it was the best thing that happened all week (or so it seemed to us). When the allotted three minutes were up Patrick had to take off his shoes and go in and get him he was romping it up so much! The wedding itself was lovely and Evie and Dylan did a great job doing what they do best, be cute. I am afraid I don’t have too many pictures of it though because by that point in the week I was exhausted and I spent most of the evening playing with the kids ☺


On Sunday, after the wedding dust settled, Colin, Marty, Evie, Patrick and I all went to Newport together. I had really wanted to go sailing so everyone humored me and we went out for a little cruise on a ship called the Madeline. It was absolutely lovely! We then ate a fantastic lunch and walked up to the International Tennis Hall of Fame (Colin’s absolute must do request of the day). As it turned out we couldn’t go in because it was a final of a big match and tickets were like $50 a piece… but Colin and Marty, while visiting the sports shop adjacent to it, managed to score some free tickets!

On Monday we caught (barely) a late flight out and made it home safe and sound by 2 am…. All of which is why I feel like I need another vacation…

No comments: