Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rhode Island and Providence Plantations - Part I


The adventure began on July 2nd at about 5:30 in the evening, the official beginning of my vacation (Patrick had to work on Friday). At around 6 pm a huge micro-burst occurred at my parent's new house, it was awesome... not quite as awesome though as my jeep, which decided that is was pissed as hell that we no longer take it 4-wheelin' and decided to drive itself down my parent's very steep driveway and into the mountain adjacent to their house. (I swear I had the parking brake on... the whole thing is still a bit of a mystery to me) Suffice to say my dad and I had a quite the time dislodging the car from the mountain; much 4x4 skill and a sledgehammer were required. But the best part (ha) was the awesome new accessory the Jeep temporarily picked up for herself. (The photo of Evie was taken before we realized the car was on the go...)

Anyway the day before we left for our trip turned into my running around trying (and failing) to get the car fixed among other exciting tasks like packing. Luckily for us a Mini will just barely fit three people and their stuff for a 10-day vacation to the smallest state in the union... Rhode Island and Providence Plantations!


We left in the wee hours (3 am) on the 4th of July and arrived without incident that evening. I was really impressed with how well Evie did on what we started to call "Airplane Day"... its a little like Christmas... gifts and all :) After many hours of traveling and dinner at Vivian's soon to be new in-laws place the beginnings of the whole crew, Vivian, Nicole, Dylan, Patrick and I landed at our place for the week, aka Evie and Dylan's summer cottage; a at least 200 year old salt box house adjacent to a farm and farm stand in the town of Little Compton.


The first few days were pretty uneventful, we ate lots of blueberries (Evie liked to both eat them and wear the pint boxes on her head), walked around the farm and went to a little beach. On Tuesday it was super rainy so Patrick and I just hung out with the kids while all sorts of wedding going ons went on. The kids, and Patrick, had a blast playing in the rain.



On Wednesday Patrick and I took a little trip to Newport while Evie spent some time with Dylan's grandma and Mimi. The big excitement there was the purchase of a kite, which was had its inaugural flight the next day at the beach.


More to come later....

No comments: