Sunday, October 22, 2017

Falls Days in MD!

I can't believe October is already half over! Although last weekend was really the first time it felt like fall (before it was still really hot and humid) we have been enjoying fall-esque activities for the past month already. One of the most significant activities has been Isadora's soccer. (Which as a side-note, I should add that Izzy currently prefers to be referred to as Vivian and is writing on all her school papers Vivian instead of Izzy.  I've been trying to remember to call her Vivian, but generally not succeeding.)  Patrick is helping out a a co-coach for the team, the Silver Dolphins.  The dolphins practice every Monday and have games on Saturdays. There are 11 girls on the team, most from Izzy's school, and they play two games of 4 on 4 soccer each Saturday.  (Thus making the need for two coaches very strong). For the first few games it was so hot that I think we put almost as much water over Izzy's head to cool her down as she drank :)  It has been fun to see her get better every game (except for this weekend where she was not feeling up to it and ended up spending most of the game sitting with me....) Here is a little clip of the soccer player in action:
At the end of September we went out to Opera in the Outfield at the National's ballpark. Despite some serious metro issues (like no trains between Grovsner and NIH so we had to get on a bus) we still made it there in time to get a spot on the outfield. Like last year the girls helped Mimi at the WETA booth and then we all enjoyed a picnic on the grass before Aida began. Both girls seemed to enjoy it, and this year depsite not being able to understand the Italian or quite read the subtitles Izzy stuck with it the whole time (going from Patrick, to me to Evie to read most of the subtitles to her so she could follow the story)
 Then the next weekend (last in September) Patrick was out visiting his Dad in Texas so I took the opportunity to go a little crazy (and Groupon happy) and bought tickets for the girls and I to go to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg. This of course makes the second time we've been down to Williamsburg and not taken in any of the historical aspects of it... but hey maybe third time will be the charm.
 Despite not wanting to go on any of the roller coasters we (or should I say I ;) still had a lot of fun with all of the Halloween decoration and the (seemingly) tamer rides.
One such ride was called Leonardo's Carpet (I think) and it ended up being scary enough that really none of us (including me) wanted to go on any more rides... which was fine, because by the time we got to that one it was pushing 5 pm and the place turned into a very, very scary place after 5:30, with 1/2 a dozen haunted houses and (apparently) things jumping out at you from anywhere.
On Columbus Day (the non-holiday for anyone except federal employees) Patrick and I had a lovely day out in DC.  We checked out the Renwick Gallery, which had pieces ranging from a quilt made from 19 mm film to a life-size reclining evening gown made out of glass.  We also walked to Dupont, browsed at Kramerbooks and caught a glass of tea at Teasim... it was fun to think about the things in our old neighborhood that had totally changed and those that were exactly the same, 15 years later.
 On the way home we bought season tickets for the National Philharmonic (where the girls go for free) and then went to our first concert that Sunday.
Before the concert they had an "instrument petting zoo" where the girls tried out a trumpet, played the timpani and talked to a trombone player... and had a delicious piece of cake (just the thing kids need before sitting for a two hour concert, right?)
The other important weekend activity has been getting the house ready for Halloween, which I think may be one of best years yet!

No comments: