Monday, June 26, 2017

Libby Logger Days June 22-25

Upon arriving in Libby the girls and Patrick were thrust right into the thick of it with one of the biggest events of the summer…. Libby Logger Days. The fun started with the carnival on Thursday night, continued all day Friday with the tractor races in the evening, and wrapped up on Saturday with logger demonstration “shows”, sawdust digging for quarters, and the bull and “bullet” of the woods competition.
The girls love a good carnival, so at their urging after work on Thursday we headed over to it. Adults each had to pay to get in and received a button as proof of payment. The button must have been designed by a local kid and had a hilarious depiction of a logger cutting wood on it. For the kids we bought them each unlimited carnival ride bracelets, which we thought would last all weekend (ohh too good to be true). Regardless, they had a good run of the rides on Thursday night and even spent some time on the bungee jump ride (which of course was not included with the bracelet…. Because that is just how it goes). After the sun set we hung out and danced and listened to some good live music and then headed for home.
Friday after work the very first thing I heard after I set foot in the house, was a chorus of desire to go back over to logger days. I must admit I was pretty excited for it too, because Friday night was when the did the lawnmower races, and everyone told me that I just couldn’t miss such a unique event.  Racing lawnmowers, while not what I expected by any stretch, certainly did not disappoint. It did, however, make me giggle just a little about just how different a Friday night in Libby was from a Friday night in DC.   
The girls pretty quickly tired of the lawnmowers though and wanted to go on more rides…. That of course their bracelets from yesterday didn’t work for. All in the name of everyone having fun though we bought them some tickets and they went on a few more rides. (I should probably state for the record here that the whole carnival consisted of probably no more than 10 rides….)



Saturday the girls and I got up and going and headed back over to the carnival. We gave Patrick the morning off so he could relax and work a bit. Figuring we would spend the better part of the day there, I bought them unlimited ride bracelets again….. and refillable sasparilla mugs (I might have been suckered on that one). After a few hours though it was pretty darn hot so we headed over to the fire cache, which was right next to the park so the girls could make some ornaments for the National Capitol Christmas tree.  I tried my hand at ornament making as well, but after I burned my fingers for the second time on the glue gun decided the whole thing was better left to the kids. 
In the afternoon we headed back over with Patrick, watched a second logging demonstration (the first being in the morning with just the girls and I) and then stuck around for the two most exciting and main events. First was the sawdust pile… aka a big pile of sawdust that where (supposedly) upwards of $500 in quarters . silver dollars, and special quarters and that were painted and worth $10 or $20 were hidden.  In the name of fairness the babies went first, followed by toddlers, 4-6 yr olds etc. Izzy dove in and made out pretty well.. about 4 buck in total.  By the time Evie had her chance it was pretty picked over and I think she got about a quarter.  At the end the adults could dive in, but I am afraid Patrick left without any big bucks to speak of.
Once the sawdust fun was over it was time for the Bull and Bull-et of the Woods competition, where people get up on a big log (apparently the same log that has been used for 50+ years) and wrestle. The last man and women standing win the cash prize ($500 a piece I think) and anyone can enter.  It was pretty darn entertaining to watch to say the least!

No comments: