Saturday, November 29, 2014

The power of the blog

So clearly I have let this whole blogging thing slide for other things...  Other things consisting mostly of taking every Saturday morning (and sometimes afternoon... and sometimes Sunday too) away from hearth and home to work on and finish(!) my dissertation.  But here we are on a Saturday morning, the girls are enjoying a little my little pony and Patrick is away so I do not have anyone to sit with for hours and drink coffee.  So I find myself pursuing the old blog posts. 

It was interesting to me to see that it was the descriptions of the "normal" days and moment that made me so happy.  We all remember the big vacations and events, but somehow the little moments get lost.  And it is for this reason that I am going to pick this blog back up now that I am so. very. close. to. having. my. PhD. finished!  So in the spirit of remembering those little things... a little tale about black friday and the box trolls.

Patrick left yesterday morning to head out to Texas to go hunting with his friend Gene and see his Dad.  The girls and I were terribly sorry to see him go, but I was excited for him to get a chance to get outside and for me to have some time to spend just with them doing "girly" stuff (whatever that means).  Once he left we all got dressed and headed down to Cost Plus where just about everything was buy one get one free.  I got in trouble with Genevieve right away as I made a b-line for the scarves and earrings... "Mommy, and who are you buying those for?... We are supposed to be buying presents for other people"  Oh all the lessons that do come back to bite us in the bum.

After I surreptitiously placed a scarf for me (and one for someone else too...and maybe a pair of earrings) in my cart we set out for the toy area, which was the real reason why Evie was hassling me... earrings and scarves are boring and she was on a mission for a present for Izzy.  On the way to the toys we each picked out an ornament as our "2014" ornament.  Evie had to contemplate quite a bit but ended up picking a wooden horse.  Izzy on the other hand knew immediately which one she preferred, a blue very fragile airplane because "I want to be an airplane flyer when I grow up." I picked out an owl made out of woodland bits.  For some reason I am obsessed with owls of late, I can't tell if this is because I have an affinity for them or some clever marketing scheme that has lodged itself in my psyche.  Anyway we browsed the toys and found a few good stocking stuffers but not the perfect present.  My plan was to head home after a brief stint at cost plus but Evie really wanted to go to the mall... so we braved it.  The target of her desire was the Disney store, which had pylons set out in front of it for those "door busters" that thankfully we had missed.  What we hadn't missed though was the "early-bird" 20% off everything in the store... so I distracted Izzy while Evie found a present, stood in line and paid for it.  Evie was very excited to achieve her mission.

Seeing how we were there anyway I decided we should pursue a few other places looking for red tights and pants for the girls for school (a constant mission of mine).  Limited success was met and then it was time to meet 20+ Rimszas for lunch at Chicken and Waffles.  By this time the girls were both looking a bit peaked, but, fared pretty well at lunch (I think the lemonade helped).  I actually broke my cardinal rule and let them play on my phone during lunch... the noise of the whole experience was a bit much for Izzy in particular, who decided she would take my phone and go and hide on the floor in the corner.  After we finished lunch we returned movies that were only a week and a half late (awesome) and then decided to make one last trip out and went to Target.  This was spurred by Evie's desire for a new nutcracker, and for some reason she was positive she could find one at Target... and to her credit she did.  With two new nutcrackers, which could never crack a nut and actually rather creepily open and close from their chest because they are ballerinas, in hand we finally headed home.  (These nutcrackers, however, have become Izzy's favorite thing, right now as I write this the two of them are in the other room making up stories and ballets around their nutcrackers and Izzy insisted on sleeping with her's in their room last night)

After a nice rest we decided that the day was young and so are we so we all went out to the movies to see the Box Trolls, which was super fun.  Izzy cuddled on my lap for almost the whole movie, much sprite was drunk and we almost finished an entire box of popcorn.  A good time was had by all and after a bath all said good night.

No comments: