Evie has joined the Science Club at her school. She has come home with strange goop (I think it was supposed to be slime), homemade lotion (which looked almost exactly like the slime), and homemade butter. The big challenge of the club though is to prepare for the regional science fair next spring. In September we made a special trip to the University so she could get a lab book. (Yes I know I could have gone to the local office max too but I get 10% off and it seemed fun to make a big deal of it). Since then we have been discussing what she could do for an experiment and then she records her ideas in the lab book. Her first idea was to see what kind of noises would make a glass break. Once it became clear that we wouldn't have the sort of equipment necessary to undertake that experiment she moved on to a water-based one where she was going to examine evaporation rates from cups. I of course thought this was fabulous but her interest in it fizzled so that too was crossed out in her book. This week she had to report to her teacher what she was going to do so it was decision day... On the way to school she still hadn't decided and couldn't come up with an idea. She then declared that she would like to do an experiment with something that started with M. I suggested molds (clearly not thinking of the ramifications of growing moldy somethings in my house for the next few months) and she got very excited and proceeded to come up with the idea for her experiment.
She decided to test 3 fruits in an indoor and outdoor environment to see what types of molds would grow on each one. Her initial hypothesis was that she would see mold in 2 days. While all of the experiment design was ongoing the puppy was in the backyard looking cute so I figured we should share that too....
(December update.... still no mold, lots of larvae from fruit flies...
going to rework the experiement with a new hypothesis and procedures...I know it is a cliff hanger and you are on the edge of your seat... so stay tuned!)
No comments:
Post a Comment