Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Little Daisy

Last week was Evie's first ever week at Girl Scout Camp.  This spring, when thinking about summer camps, I was really excited and a bit too over zealous honestly, about all of Genevieve's new found summer options.  You see, once a kid hits the 5 year mark a whole new world of summer camp opportunity arises.  I found myself one March day perusing the Girl Scout camp page and became enamored with every single one of the camps they offered... Fit, Fun and Fierce (sports), Fairy Fantasty (awesomeness guaranteed), showbiz (um hello, Evie's ness just screams this one) H20 a go go (OK do I even need a commentary on how I feel about that?) etc.  So I quickly signed her up for a whole summer of Girl Scout camp.  I realized a few months later that what I also signed us up for was a pretty serious commute to the outer (to me at least) reaches of town.  Oh well. 

Last week was her first official week at camp (Fit, Fun and Fierce) and she got to learn a bit about rock climbing, archery, zumba and volleyball.  On about Wednesday of last week she came home and started singing songs she had learned at camp.  Imagine her utter shock when she started singing "I am squishing up my baby bumble bee" and I joined in with her....  she stopped singing and said "Mommy, how do you know this song?  I just learned it today"  And I, happy as a clam, informed her that I knew it because I sang the same song when I was a Girl Scout.  Something about that interaction made me so very happy.  I think it was because being a Girl Scout and camp during the summers are some of my fondest memories from childhood.  And it seems like Girl Scouts hasn't changed too terribly much (clearly not the songs) since my day because the next day she came home with some homemade lip gloss (waay girlie) and a first aid kit she made (waay awesome).  My kind of girl, ready to camp in relative style :)  The highlight and weirdly almost tear jerker moment of the week was at the end of the week when she got her first little set of patches...  looks like I'd better go get her a vest.  Oh and it also looks like I had better get on my personal goal of setting up and being the troop leader for a group of IST Daisies because Evie is hooked :)

No comments: