
A new plague has taken root in the Lacroix household, and although I am told it is quite the common affliction amongst the under 10 female set, I am concerned about all of our welfare nonetheless. Ahh yes I remember now how I laughed heartily when told that it was only a matter of time until the dreaded princess pox reached my home, spreading pink pestilence in its wake. I waved them off with a chuckle, oh no not my daughter, she would never succumb to such an illness. But, my friends, I am here to say that I, once again, have been naïve. There is just no escaping this plague, and given that Evie has already fallen ill there is nothing for Patrick and I to do but to capitulate and become fairytaled as well.
The first symptoms emerged months ago, a request for pretty skirt here and there, the desire for me to build a castle for her out of a cardboard box, but the peak (or so we imagine…hope?) came to pass this past Monday when Evie began to insist that I call her Sleeping Beauty and that my name was no longer Mommy but Cinderella. While cooking dinner on Monday night Sleeping Beauty frequently beckoned Cinderella to her room to give her a kiss and wake her up so that we could go live in Cinderella’s castle “happily ever after” (I tried to explain to Evie that based on current injustices in our country Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty would only be able to live together and not get married like she wanted us to, but she just brushed this snag aside with a “Come on Mommy-Cinderella, its getting late and I don’t want you to loose a shoe.”) Then, once Patrick came home, the real fun started as we had our Prince Charming. Prince Charming was then required to help Sleeping Beauty jump on the bed (I’m not sure what fairytale that is from… but a little creativity here and there is nice)
All week long now Patrick has been replaced by Prince Charming (so to speak) who has had not one but two princesses. Reality set in this morning however when Sleeping Beauty (which, come to think of it, is pretty ironic given that she really hasn’t slept very well this week) told me that it was time for Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty to wake up and make coffee and pancakes for Prince Charming. So much for happily ever after.
1 comment:
Sounds like Sleeping Beauty needs to learn the version of the story where Prince Charming makes a nice gin and tonic for Cinderella at the end of the day. And how about a foot rub after wearing those glass slippers all day? :) Sonja
Post a Comment