
I tell ya what folks; this motherhood gig is a thankless occupation. I know, I know its trite and has been said before by many before, but by god add me to the list of millions….
After all my hard work and sleepless nights, my babbling baby girl will not utter a single mama for her mama. Her skills in the dada department are, however, very well developed. So well refined in fact that she does a perfect, clear as a bell, “daddy”. Now this isn’t to say that Patrick is undeserving of her vocal attention, he certainly does his part, but even he will admit that most of the more grueling baby tasks fall onto my shoulders.
Being the proactive parents we are, and in an effort to right this wrong, we have begun Say Mama Bootcamp. Genevieve now has a series of daily Say Mama exercises that must be repeated ad nasueum:
Exercise One: Patrick points to me and says there’s Mama. I then wave and say Mama. (We originally played this game with me pointing to myself and saying Mama and Patrick pointing to himself and saying Dada…. But after a week or so the result was a baby who pointed to herself whenever we said Mama or Dada….)
Exercise Two: Whenever I leave the room Patrick says “Where’s Mama” I then respond by calling out Hi or some other such thing to her.
Exercise Three: Stare at Evie and repeat over and over and over again mamamamamama.
Exercise Four: (This one is hard core) Set Evie up in her highchair facing a doorway. We then hide on either side of the doorway and take turns jumping into view and saying “I’m the Dada (or Mama)” or just a plain old excited proclamation of “Mama!” or “Dada!” (Sometimes we have to quit this exercise early because Evie gets nervous with us disappearing and reappearing on her like that.)
So far this workout has led to mixed results. A few mama utterances have been recorded in recent weeks but never in my presence. Here’s to hoping she gets it soon because this sort of routine really wears you out!
In other news we went on a fabulous hike this past weekend with Ben, Annie and Maxine. It was really great to get out and spend sometime in the desert. Evie figured out how to use the camelpack and I think spent the entire hike drinking water because at the end of the hike all 1.5 literes were gone! The other momentous event of the weekend was Evie taking two honest to goodness steps… only two at a time so far but she is definitely on her way to walksville.


No comments:
Post a Comment