Thursday, April 19, 2007

There must be a bumper baby crop & they all want a breast pump


Evie's second week started up in Phoenix with her grandparents. On Monday we decided that it was cruel and unusual to continue to subject my poor parents to our new sleepless reality (and I had an appointment at the Birth Center to check in on my blood pressure) so in a great imitation of the Joads we piled everyone back in the car and headed home to Tucson. And thus began the afternoon of futility....

We were running short on time so we had to go straight to the BC with all of our stuff (including Kita) still in the car. By this time poor Evie had not eaten for two hours and was starting to protest. So here we are in a parking lot (the first of probably many times I will do this) and I am trying to be as inconspicous as possible with my bare boob. I am sure I could have gone inside the BC to feed her but I am not quite ready for that degree of exposure yet. As P atrick so delicately put it I have not bared my breasts in public since college so I am a little out of practice :) My appointment went well my blood pressure is OK with the meds I have been on.... Anyway we decided for efficency sake we would run two simple (ha!0 errands on the way home, Patrick had reserved a book for class at Barnes and Noble and I wanted to buy my breast pump because my aunt Betty had generously given us the money to buy it and so I didn't need to procrastnate on the expenditure any more.

Well nothing is ever simple and sometimes on a Monday things are down right terrible. The bookstore had taken the book off reserve because it had been more than 3 days and somehow the book had subsequently dissapeared from the bookstore... but all of this took close to an hour to discover. All the while I am holding down the ark that is our overfilled car, hey at least it wasn't hot out.

We then go accross the street to a Target... ahh here is where things will turn around, I'll just run in and pick up this bad boy. Nope errr wrong the pump I wanted was the only one sold out.... in my short stint in the Target I did see, however, at least two women with newborn-esque babies in their carts. I fought the urge to check and see if indeed they had beaten me out by seconds to my pump.... but really what would I have done? I am in no shape for a smack down and I knew that there was another (and surely better) Target just down the road. Ah optimism it has always plagued me. Of course the second Target was also sold out, there were however another two (or was it ten, it must have been at least ten) women with babies in that Target! At this point I just laughed my way to the car at the ridculousness of it all and decided that there must be a bumper crop of late March/early April babies all of which have mom's who are desperate to hook themselves up to a human milker machine.

This story does have a happy ending. After a very frustrating afternoon where Evie was so hungry I could not get in a nap and an evening that looked like it would turn into another all nighter for the babe and I, she decided to sleep a record four hours from midnight to 4 am. What more proof does one need that there is some sort of benevolent force in the world looking out for tired moms and hungry babes world over :)

1 comment:

Lisa, Bob, and the girls said...

Kelly and Patrick:

Congratulations. Great pictures. Thanks for all the information. Sounds like you are hanging in there. You might try Babies-R-Us. A horrible conglomerate, but they are usually well stocked with pumps and etc. Call ahead to have one put aside for you. Take care.